Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Livin' in a lonely world . . .

Round 6: This house would prosecute communities for complicity in honor killings.

Alaska A: CO, 1st, 12 points
Alaska B: OG, 3rd, 10 points
Alaska C: OG, 3rd, 11 points
Alaska D: OG, 2nd, 11 points

My favorite motion so far. The intersection of legal, cultural and moral issues is what makes for excellent BP debates. Plenty of ground to explore in 8 speeches, lots of good ground on both sides and timely as well. Unfortunately, the debate I saw considered none of these issues, but at least it gave me plenty of time during the debate to think about the things that I thought should be discussed.

So all Alaska teams are within striking distance of the break. This is the nail-biting time, though, and not just because all the rounds tomorrow are closed adjudication. Facing the prospect of having to take two firsts and a second rounds tomorrow is daunting for some of the Seawolves, but others have a bit more of a margin. Typically, breaking requires at least 18 points. Given that there are around 400 teams here this year, the break will require 18 and very high speaker points.

Updates tomorrow will be limited, as I’ll have little to report round-by-round. They’ll announce the break tomorrow at midnight (around 11:00 am Alaska time) and I’ll do my best to get the break posted a.s.a.p., but wireless access really tends to bog down when there are lots of people on, so you may have more luck checking Colm Flynn’s site if you’re really anxious to know who broke where.

Oh, and I realize now that it was Journey who sang “Don’t Stop Believing,” not Rush. But I'm still holding on to that feeling.

2 comments: